Business users are very interested in Tablets shipping with Windows RT including the Microsoft Surface, Samsung Ativ Tab and Asus Vivo Tab, just to name a few.
But can they commercially use the preinstalled Office Home & Student 2013 RT?
This question is obvious, considering the fact that previous versions of the Home & Student Edition of Office have been strictly licensed for private/non-commercial use.
The answer is: No, but…
Business users will have to buy an add-on license called “Office Home & Student 2013 RT Commercial Use Rights” via Volume licensing.
The answer can be found in the publicly available “Microsoft Product Use Rights”:
The license terms that apply to your use of this product are the following:
1. You must assign each license to a single device.
2. This license modifies your right to use the software under a separately acquired Office Home & Student 2013 RT license, by waiving the prohibition against commercial use of the software.
3. If you acquire Office Home & Student 2013 RT commercial use rights under an Office Professional Plus or Office Standard license, you may permit the primary user of the Licensed Device to use a separately licensed copy of Office Home & Student 2013 RT as provided here.
4. Except for the allowance for commercial use of the software, all use remains subject to the terms and use rights provided with the Office Home & Student 2013 RT License.
5. Acquisition of the Office Home & Student 2013 RT commercial use rights does not create or extend any warranty or support obligation under the Office Home & Student 2013 RT license.